- Information that We Speak Digital collects from you (including Personal Information)
- Cookies and Tracking Technologies on the We Speak Digital Site
- How your information is used
- How your information is shared
- How to manage your Personal Information
- Storage & Security
- Contact information
- sign up for an We Speak Digital user account and create an We Speak Digital user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product or service (for example, membership);
- send email messages to We Speak Digital (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the We Speak Digital Site.
- sign up for an We Speak Digital user account (name, username, email address);
- purchase a membership or other product or service (so that We Speak Digital’s third-party vendor can process payment);
- participate in remote proctoring or other course facilitation processes (so that We Speak Digital’s third-party vendor can monitor and assess the integrity of your course activity); or
- earn a Verified Certificate (the certificate will have your name on it).
- in your We Speak Digital account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other We Speak Digital Site users);
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the We Speak Digital Site (noting that in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance for the We Speak Digital Site or a course).
We Speak Digital encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the We Speak Digital Site. (If you later choose to delete your We Speak Digital account, deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.) Trainers do not receive your Personal Information.
- based on your cookie settings, We Speak Digital tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the We Speak Digital Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- We Speak Digital may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type) you used when accessing the We Speak Digital Site, and We Speak Digital may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- We Speak Digital may track and collect information from emails that We Speak Digital sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the We Speak Digital Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the We Speak Digital Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help We Speak Digital gather information about how visitors use the We Speak Digital Site and monitor We Speak Digital Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the We Speak Digital Site before and may have any personal preferences; and
- to support marketing by enabling We Speak Digital to deliver content relevant to your interests on the We Speak Digital Site and third-party sites based on how you interact with We Speak Digital or Member advertisements or content. We Speak Digital use “first-party” cookies, which means cookies served by We Speak Digital, and also “third-party” cookies, which means cookies served by third parties that help We Speak Digital track this information. This includes but is not limited to facebook.com, google.com and others.
- Modifying your browser settings: You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notification of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject We Speak Digital’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the We Speak Digital Site may not work properly.
- Opting-out of certain third-party tracking and advertising: Some of the third parties used by We Speak Digital for Cookies and Tracking Technologies offer the ability to opt-out from their tracking by following processes described on their websites. We Speak Digital is responsible for the effectiveness of any third-party opt-out options.
- Operate and improve the We Speak Digital Site – This includes creating and improving features that support the We Speak Digital community and enable We Speak Digital Site usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the We Speak Digital Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, provide, and teach courses – This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on We Speak Digital. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the We Speak Digital Site, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the We Speak Digital Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to purchase or obtain products and services on the We Speak Digital Site such as Verified Certificates.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the We Speak Digital Site – This includes tracking We Speak Digital Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the We Speak Digital Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and We Speak Digital Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news, and related products and services of We Speak Digital or We Speak Digital affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education – This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
- Track We Speak Digital Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations – This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of We Speak Digital, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
We Speak Digital may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
We Speak Digital share information, including Personal Information, with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the We Speak Digital Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the We Speak Digital Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, We Speak Digital may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others your username.
- With employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes – If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your membership or course participation, We Speak Digital will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
The merchant is not responsible for the privacy policies of websites to which it links. If you provide any information to such third parties different rules regarding the collection and use of your personal information may apply. You should contact these entities directly if you have any questions about their use of the information that they collect.
The Website Policies and Terms & Conditions may be changed or updated occasionally to meet the requirements and standards. Therefore, the Customers’ are encouraged to frequently visit these sections to be updated about the changes on the website. Modifications will be effective on the day they are posted.
- Usernames cannot ever be changed. This is an We Speak Digital system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the We Speak Digital Site, We Speak Digital encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username.
- We Speak Digital does not track or index every time or every place on the We Speak Digital Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so we will not be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. We Speak Digital encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the We Speak Digital Site.
- deactivate your We Speak Digital account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from We Speak Digital email lists.
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally “age-off” the We Speak Digital system.
- We Speak Digital does not track or index every time or every place on the We Speak Digital Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither We Speak Digital will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. We Speak Digital encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your Personal Information on the We Speak Digital Site.
- We Speak Digital will archive course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives are used to produce encrypted research data packages, and Personal Information may not be deleted from research data packages retained.
- We Speak Digital cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, records relating to previous purchases on the We Speak Digital Site must be retained for financial reporting, audit, and compliance reasons.
- We Speak Digital will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
Cookies are unique identifiers usually in the form of small data files placed on your device that send certain information about your activity on the We Speak Digital Site or in an email communication back to We Speak Digital or the authorized third party that served the cookie. We Speak Digital or third parties may also use Flash cookies.